Dry skin? Here are the top tips
Your skin is your largest organ! We are sharing some tips to relieve and prevent dry skin.
- Keep showers cool and short. Avoid bathing.
- Wash with a synthetic cleanser (for ex Dove, Cetaphil) and try and avoid tradition soaps and this changes the PH of the skin and increases dryness
- Avoid scrubbing skin, wash gently and rinse
- Gently dab skin dry in stead of rubbing
- Apply a good moisturizer. Creams or ointments instead of lotions work best. Ingredients that help to soothe dry skin include lactic acid, urea, hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, glycerin, lanolin, mineral oil, and petrolatum.
- Humidifiers can be used during the dry months
- Choose non-irritating clothes and laundry detergent. When our skin is dry and raw even clothes and laundry detergent can be irritating.
- Stay warm without cozying up to a fireplace or other heat source.Sitting in front of an open flame or other heat source can dry your skin.
Sometimes people with dry skin can develop eczema. A topical corticosteroid can then be added to the moisturizing regime.